Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group in Gloucestershire UK.
- promoting interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality….
Stonehouse Railway Stations
There were three railway stations in Stonehouse:-
The Great Western Railway (G.W.R.) Station.
The GWR railway line through Stonehouse was designed and built by the great Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1845. The old station buildings on both platforms were also designed by IKB, but were demolished in the 1970’s to make way for the present maintenance free buildings.
The first train passed through Stonehouse from Swindon to Gloucester on April 14th 1845. On board were dignitaries of the Great Western Railway as well as the line's engineer I. K. Brunel.
Stroud station was opened on the same day. Only a fortnight before the road bridge over Rowcroft was still being constructed, after the demolition of a block of houses.
After the final Board of Trade inspection in early May, the line was officially opened on Whit Monday, May 12th 1845.
Bristol Road (L.M.S.) Station
The London Midland Scottish line was a little earlier, 1844 and the Bristol Road station was opened on the 8th July 1844.
There was a covered walk way between this station and the Nailsworth Dudbridge station made of corrugated metal about 120 meters long. (It can be clearly seen in this map from 1938).
Nailsworth Dudbridge Railway Station
The Stonehouse Dudbridge Donkey Station line opened by the Nailsworth Railway in 1867 and became part of the Midland Railway within a year. It was extended to Stroud in 1885. In 1886 it was possible to make the journey between Stonehouse and Stroud 18 times per day.
Intermediate stations were provided at Ryeford, Dudbridge and Woodchester. The short branch from Dudbridge to Stroud (Wallbridge) was opened in 1885. Passenger traffic ceased in 1947 but the line remained open for freight until 1966. Much of the line was converted into a cycle path in the 1980s.
The Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway
Harold Gubbins - Fireman on the
The Stonehouse to Chalford Steam Rail Car
Stonehouse to Nailsworth
Midland Railway on Wikipedia
Railmotor No.93 and Trailer No.92 Preservation