Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group in Gloucestershire UK.
- promoting interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality….
More photographs of Stonehouse.
Aerial Views of old Stonehouse
Stonehouse Brass Band, at Stonehouse Regatta July 9th 1898, held on the Stroud Water Canal at Stonehouse Wharf near the Ship Inn.
Stonehouse upper High Street 1897, the Ind Coope shop is now the Monsoon Indian restaurant.
The fellow in the second photograph with the umbrella standing next to the shop keeper is the Revered Farren White vicar of Stonehouse (1861-1898) author of Ants and their ways.
Gloucestershire has long been steeped in commerce and the manufacture of all sorts of things.
One of the more unusual was the growing of willow trees for the manufacture of cricket bats, here in Stonehouse.
Newspaper cutting taken from the Gloucester Journal Saturday 12th February 1870
Disaster at Ryeford Stonehouse!
Moreton Valence Aerodrome 1940’s
The Commemorative Blue Plaque has now been unveiled for Stanley Spencer at The White Hart Inn.
Old photographs of :- Regent Street, High Street (in Colour) and Haywardsfield Wycliffe College.
Fire at Stonehouse Court............
Click Picture to read newspaper story...
Click for real story......
High Street circa 1945, Hurns Hardware building on the left and the Police Station is behind the wall on the left. Fawkes stores and the Tudor house covered in ivy is on the right, Its nice to see trees in the High street just like the latest proposals!
1960 - Big Stonehouse Property Deal!
A New Post Office 1933
Take a virtual walk around Victorian Stonehouse in 1881.
Stonehouse in 1881
Goodbye Elgin Lodge 1987
The Stonehouse to Nailsworth Railway
The Old Bridge Garage in Gloucester Road
Stonehouse History Route
A walk around Stonehouse viewing the oldest and the best of the town.
The History of Stonehouse
Jack Anderson - 1975
Guess the date of this old Stonehouse Photograph.
Picturesque Views of Stonehouse
By Mark Whiley
Stonehouse from the air, taken around 1975. Looking from the south to the north. You can see Wycliffe playing fields and the Chapel, with the Great Western Railway looping around towards Gloucester in the background.
THE BLITZ ON STONEHOUSE THE GERMANS PLANNED FOR 1943
The German plan to bomb Sperry’s and Hoffmann’s in Stonehouse graphically told by the Stroud News reveals a very interesting local story.
Taken from a reprint in the centenary Stroud News in 1966 of the original copy printed in the Stroud News in 1950.
The Building of a Shadow Factory, Hoffmann’s 1939/40
Stonehouse Church Hall in the 1960’s, was the “Beat scene.”
Stonehouse Town Map 1984
V W Mullins clothiers and outfitters had two stores at the top of Regent Street.
Wycliffe at the Grove
More Photographs of Stonehouse
Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company Ltd. Circa 1914, you can clearly see the brick works sidings.